Thursday, September 6, 2007

Trip to Georgia?

I received an email today from an organization I worked for this summer reminding me about the opportunity to protest WHINSEC (Western Hemisphere Institute for Security and Cooperation, formerly the School of Americas). I thought I would post about it in case anyone was interested and wanted to plan ahead for the weekend in November!

The School of Americas is located in Fort Benning Georgia and teaches military techniques to Latin Americans. SOA Watch explains in more detail:

"Over its 59 years, the SOA has trained over 60,000 Latin American soldiers in counterinsurgency techniques, sniper training, commando and psychological warfare, military intelligence and interrogation tactics. These graduates have consistently used their skills to wage a war against their own people. Among those targeted by SOA graduates are educators, union organizers, religious workers, student leaders, and others who work for the rights of the poor. Hundreds of thousands of Latin Americans have been tortured, raped, assassinated, “disappeared,” massacred, and forced into refugee by those trained at the School of Assassins."

Every year thousands of people show up at Fort Benning to protest the operation and many participate in civil disobedience. Witness for Peace, where I worked, organizes events all weekend.

1 comment:

Lee Rials said...

The only problem with that quote from SOAW is that it is the opposite of the truth! I am the Public Affairs Officer at WHINSEC so I don't expect you to believe me. Come and see for yourself; we are open any weekday when visitors can sit in classes, talk with students and faculty, and review instructional materials. If you only come on the weekend of the protest, write to me via the WHINSEC contact info, and you can join the tours we offer on Saturday.
Lee A. Rials